I'm at the Telligent Big Social in Dallas this week and thought I'd share with you some of what I learnt in yesterdays session on upgrading to Telligent Community 6.0.
Hopefully this will give those of you who are considering an upgrade to TC 6.0 an idea of what's involved and the challenges to overcome.
Ten Steps To Upgrade From Telligent Community 5.x to 6.0
- Start with a new project with the new TC 6.0 files.
- Backup the database before upgrading!.
- Run upgrade scripts on the database.
- Determine which files need to be copied over from you customised Community (CSS, images, user controls etc).
- Migrate .ascx based widgets to velocity scripted widgets to make them upgrade proof.
- Update any references from old assemblies to the new TC6.0 assemblies.
- Update code written against the Internal API to use the upgrade-proof public APIs.
- Copy the Fiji theme in the theme management area in the control panel and add your CSS and images into the theme in the control panel.
- Make updates to CSS to resolve differences in markup and classes.
- Make updates to resources to match any changes made in you community before upgrade.
Six Top Tips For Upgrading From Telligent Community 5.x to 6.0
- Page layouts are not migrated from 5.6 and must be handled manually.
- 5.x custom profile widgets are not supported in 6.0.
- Rest V1, Chameleon Controls and Internal API code is not upgrade-proof and should be migrated.
- Markup Translations are no longer used in 6.0.
- Resources in Widgets are now localised to each widget but can be updated in one place.
- Plugins can be created to develop custom Navigation, Data Access, Methods, Components and so on.
If you have any questions on upgrading then let me know.